Reece James’ masterclass, James Rodriguez man of the match performance, Salah going bonkers and carrying the whole game solely against Leeds, there is a lot to talk about regarding Gameweek 1, but it can be misleading if you don’t understand the context behind these amazing performances and just bring them all in instead of carrying your well thought out plan. We know you will say Saliba did not play in the match when we said he will most probably will, and Ramsdale had a pretty bad performance against Wolves conceding early goals on, but we told you already we are going to give advice that is going to be applicable for the next five weeks too (unless there are injuries) and there might be some weeks when we get it wrong but we can assure you our advice is completely based on prior meetings between the teams and statistical data to ensure that you guys can climb up the rankings as soon as possible.
If you are starting this week, there might be some extra tips for you here because honestly not many players got amazing points and you might still be able to catch up to your friends who started in the previous week.
Make or Break Insights
- You might be worried about Chelsea vs Liverpool and imagining that your players might not give you the best points this week but historically this fixture has been all about the goals, and if you have players who are all about attacking returns don’t worry, this match can see almost up to 4 goals with the full backs enjoying some great time on the wings. If you can, do change your center backs to the full backs of the same team if you can.
- Spurs had a pretty rough time against Everton, but we do need to remember that Everton are a great team and with their new revamped midfield they are a force to reckon with this season. If you have any doubts regarding Spurs players, you should not, because even though Southampton is a pretty good team, you should expect the Spurs player to give a tough reply to their critics this week, especially Harry Kane.
- Arsenal were perhaps one of the most impressive teams in the first week, and you can see that they play around their full backs a lot since Arteta came in, try to bring Bellerin if you could instead of Maitland-Niles because when David Luiz returns, there is a feeling around the club that he will play almost every time with Tierney moving back to his preferred Left Back spot.
- Leeds looked really impressive this week against Liverpool, and with a fixture against Fulham this week which is feeling like really favorable for them, you might want to bank some cash on their players as budget options.
- The lack of activity during the transfer window surrounding Man United and Man City is worrying for the fans but we can’t forget that United was actually outstanding since the arrival of Bruno Fernandes in January and City is thirsty for blood this season, if this is the week you are starting your journey, you can have almost up to 4 players of these two teams and still be able to climb up the ranks but I would favor going 3 from United due to City’s tricky fixtures early on.
I told you all last week too about Liverpool’s worrying form, but I would like to say it again that their performance against Leeds was again a reminder for us FPL managers that it is a risk currently to bank on 3 Liverpool players in our team, especially their defenders. The arrival of Thiago looks imminent at this stage and there are actually very good reasons present for Klopp to shift to a 4231 instead of his preferred 433, so there might be some changes in how they play soon but they have some big fixtures coming up and it would be a risk to have a lot of Liverpool players currently (Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton), and here are our players to watch this week.
Players to Watch
1. Anthony Martial (9.0)
United was absolutely on fire after January and the majority of their goals came through either Bruno Fernandes or Martial, these two were always there causing a ruckus for the opponent, and you can bank on Martial causing problems for Crystal Palace in their box and giving a good return to the managers who believed in him.
2. Romain Saiss (5.0)
FPL Managers love a good budget option and Saiss was actually a favorite last year, his performance against Sheffield is a reminder to fans about how good Wolves still are defensively and with some pretty favorable fixtures except facing City next week (They won the last two times against them too!), he looks like one of the best defenders to have in your team.
3. Patrick Bamford (5.6)
Bamford is one of Marcelo Bielsa’s most trusted player and we can see how much he relies on Bamford finding the right spaces in the Championship last season. I know many of you are skeptical about him not making it big in Chelsea but he is a player that can be described as the heart of this Leeds team and you can see him pulling the strings against Fulham too.
4. Gabriel Magalhaes (5.0)
Gabriel really resembles Van Dijk in how he sees the game, you can see him leaving up the line and getting forward to attack the forward coming towards him a lot and he is great in the air too! You can bank on Gabriel as a regular starter in Arteta’s team and I don’t see why not yours too!
5. James Justin (4.5)
I had my doubts about Justin initially but he was amazing this week and is probably the best 4.5 defender out there that you can just insert in your team and forget about all season right now.
6. Donny Van De Beek (7.0)
I know many of you do not rate this guy highly, but in Netherlands they teach the concept of space to every young kid playing football, and it looks like Donny actually paid attentions to his coaches. I expect Donny to actually play alongside Paul and Bruno against teams that likes to defend with deep block and he might actually take the position Bruno thrived in last season, with Bruno taking a Box to Box midfielder role beside Paul.
Players to Avoid
1. Mohammad Salah (12.0)
Salah was great this week and deserves all the praise but I would remind you all again that his record against the top sides isn’t actually something to rely on, and with Liverpool facing Chelsea, Arsenal and their bitter rivals Everton at the very start of the season, it would be better to not rely on him for the coming weeks. If you really want a Liverpool midfielder in your team, you can go for Mane or Naby Keita (We will look into this when Thiago is here)
2. Alexandre Lacazette (8.5)
He started the season with a goal in the very first match again, but don’t bank on him to return these points every week. Lacazette is good against big teams but he still haven’t justified his permanent spot in the team and I can honestly see him being on the bench many times with Willian taking the Left Wing spot and Aubameyang moving to center forward.
3. Willian (8.1)
Willian looked unstoppable during Arsenals win against Fulham this week but there is still no certainty that he would be starting week in week out, if he does he could prove to be a great option but I won’t rely on him currently with some tricky fixtures coming up for Arsenal too.
4. Paul Pogba (8.0)
Paul is personally my favorite player but FPL managers need to understand the fact that he plays as deep lying playmaker, not an advanced playmaker, you cannot rely him to give big points every week. With the arrival of Van De Beek, there would be many instances this season where Pogba actually plays as a regista orchestrating things from the defensive line with Bruno and Van De Beek having a slightly more offensive role.
5. Raheem Sterling (11.5)
I know Sterling is absolutely massive early on in the season but with no preseason this time and lack of information surrounding their form, it is actually better to go for Kevin De Bryune who is the same price and offers a more dynamic performance through his outstanding vision.
6. Tariq Lamptey (4.5)
Lamptey looked so good against Chelsea this week but we cannot forget how woeful Brighton is when it came to defending last season, and with the arrival of Ben White it might get better, but don’t bank on him to give many points. You can definitely go for him as a bench option nevertheless.
My Team this week
Goalkeeper: Alex McCarthy (SOU)
Defenders: Hector Bellerin (ARS), Matt Doherty (TOT) and Reece James (CHE)
Midfielders: Aubameyang (ARS), Dele Alli (TOT), Kai Havertz (CHE) and James Rodriguez (EVE), Alex Saint Maximin (NEW)
Forwards: Harry Kane (TOT) and Anthony Martial (MUN)
Bench: Steer, Tyrick Mitchell, Walker-Peters and Brewster
As you can see I made a few changes to the team that I shared with you last week, as I felt Rob Holding could play instead of Saliba and Bellerin would provide a better chance at getting some assist points, nevertheless this week there won’t be any changes to this team, and I can certainly look to Captain Martial instead of Aubameyang but it is not looking very likely at this point. I hope you have a great week and climb the ranks because who does not like bragging rights over their friends and we will be back next week to help you!